Professional Dental Cleanings
Depending on the health of your teeth and the gums, we recommend one of these two types of dental cleanings:
1) Dental Prophylaxis
A professional dental cleaning, also called prophylaxis, removes these three things from your teeth:
- Plaque, which is the soft whitish layer that accumulates on your teeth regardless of what you eat.
- Calculus, also known as tartar, which is plaque that has calcified by absorbing minerals from your saliva.
- External stains from coffee, teas and other foods.
By removing the plaque, calculus and stain, the gums become healthier (less inflamed because of the irritation of the plaque and calculus) and therefore will bleed less and become less tender. By controlling the inflammation of the gums, we also prevent bone disease (periodontal disease) because the chronic inflammation of the gums and the presence of calculus lead to inflammation and loss of the bone.
2) Deep Cleanings: Scaling and Root Planning
Deep cleaning, also know as scaling and root planning, is performed when there is substantial accumulation of calculus under the gums causing sever inflammation of the gums and bone loss (periodontal disease). The aim of the deep cleaning is to remove all the calculus deposits from the teeth and smoothen the teeth to make it easier to brush and floss and harder for the plaque to stick.
Is a Professional Dental Cleaning Right for You?
Yes, a professional dental cleaning is right for you! We recommend it at least twice a year. Yes, you do a good job at home, twice a day, 365 days of the year, but there are still places that you cannot reach. This, of course, is where the cavities form. You want and deserve that beautiful, ultimate smile. By having a cleaning at least twice a year, you will maintain your luxurious smile for years to come.
Benefits of a Professional Dental Cleaning
Dental cleaning benefits include:
- Well-maintained teeth and a beautiful smile.
- The better care you take of your teeth, the longer they will last, and the happier you will be.
- You will be comfortable and relaxed in your social and professional life.