At-home aligner kits may be appealing in cost and convenience, but the downside is a lack of exam prior to fitting the molds and having someone not trained take those molds. You could be a poor candidate for aligners for a variety of reasons – ceramic braces might be better for your bite or jaw shape. The type of braces you need for straightening aren’t just decided upon because of teeth – bit and jaw position/shape should also be taken into account.
Invisible Aligners – Before & After
Issues with Using at Home Teeth Aligners
Although over-the-counter aligners can be convenient and less expensive than professional teeth straightening, they often come with their own set of problems.
Many times, a dentist that has been trained in fitting Invisalign and other teeth aligner systems can look at your teeth and give you a few reasons why aligners like an at-home kit, or Invisalign might not be your best option. If you choose to use a direct-club type at-home aligner – there’s no examination prior to fitting, so an issue like decay or malformation in your mouth/jaw may be missed. Many times, an at-home kit ends up costing our patients more in the long run, because they have to pay for consequences or fixes of poor fit or results.
If you’ve tried at-home teeth straightening and are unhappy with the results or if they’ve created issues with your teeth, call us for a consultation. We can correct any issues the DIY aligners have caused.
Over-the-Counter At-Home Teeth Aligners Consultation in NYC
If you answer yes to any of the following questions, you may want to consider a consultation so we can share with you how we can improve the result you already got with your previous teeth straightening and give you straight teeth and a beautiful smile:
- Did your teeth shift since you finished your aligners or braces?
- Are you not satisfied with your aligner’s outcome?
- Do you feel you want a little more improvement in your teeth alignment and the aligners you got are not fixing the problem?
- Do you feel the aligners you received are not working for you?
- Do you feel your teeth cannot meet since you got your aligners?
- Are your gums bleeding when you wear your aligners?
- Are your teeth hurting when you eat after using your aligners?
- Do you have sensitivity when you eat after using your aligners?