Caries Management By Risk Assessment: Part II
March 18, 2016
In the previous post, we introduced you to CAMBRA, Caries Management by Risk Assessment, which evaluates the possibility of developing certain diseases in the future. Now we’ll go into further detail on how it all works.
How is Caries Risk Assessment done?
We meet with patients and collect information about their dental history and current condition and make projections for future risk. Once we establish a risk level, we can develop and appropriate plan to reduce future risk.
Some of the information we collect for cavities includes:
- History of cavities in the past 3 years
- Type of previous dental work
- Frequency, duration and type of snacks per day
- Medication and other conditions which affect your saliva and cause mouth dryness
- Quality and type of home care such as brushing and flossing and whether any visible dental plaque is present on teeth
- For babies, we assess the care giver history of cavities
The American Dental Association and the California Dental Association developed extensive lists of items to be evaluated. After we review of all the information, we determine the Risk Level as either Low, Moderate or High.
At Making You Smile, everyone gets a risk assessment for caries and a customized caries management plan for a future free of cavities.
Reduce your chance of developing cavities with a regular checkup at Making You Smile Cosmetic Dental Studio – call 1-646-484-0197 in Manhattan or book an appointment via ZocDoc.