A natural tooth consists of a root, which is below the gum line, surrounded by bone. The root supports the crown, the part of the tooth above the gum line, which is the part visible in your mouth. With a single tooth implant, the implant is surgically placed into the bone so that a prosthetic crown (the visible part of the tooth) can be firmly attached.
Dental implants also stop the deterioration of the jawbone, which can happen with the loss of a tooth and can help improve overall patient health as a solid, sturdy tooth allows you to chew with confidence.
Are Single Tooth Dental Implants Right for You?
When a single tooth is missing, an implant and implant-supported crown is the best solution. Within a few days of having this procedure, you will forget that it’s an implant at all! Because the crown is shaped perfectly to fit the space in your mouth, this is a great way to enhance your smile.
Benefits of a Single Tooth Implant
There are many reasons to get a dental implant, including:
- You will look and feel younger, healthier and more confident.
- The implant and implant crown look more natural and aesthetically pleasing than a bridge.
- You will avoid the damage caused by a three-unit bridge, which requires that the healthy teeth on either side of the missing tooth be ground down to make a base for the anchoring of the bridge.
- The dental implant is a more conservative and tooth-saving treatment than traditional bridgework.
- Dental implants are easier to keep clean and longer lasting than a bridge. You will just need to floss and brush as you do with your natural teeth.