Surgical Pre-Operative Instructions for IV-Sedation and General Anesthesia
These instructions must be read and strictly followed before commencing sedation or general anesthesia. Neglecting any of the following may compel the doctor to cancel treatment and a cancellation fee of full anesthesia charges will apply.
Eating & Drinking:
- The patient (pediatric and adult) may not have anything to eat for eight (8) hours before the scheduled appointment.
- ADULT PATIENTS ONLY may consume a small quantity (2 oz) of clear liquids (water or apple juice) up to three (3) hours before appointment.
- ABSOLUTELY NO food or drink may be consumed within three (3) hours of appointment.
- Prescription medications should be taken as scheduled (unless directed by the anesthesiologists or your physicians).
- Medications are to be taken only with a sip of water.
- Dress in short sleeves, flat shoes, and warm comfortable, loose fitting pants.
- Adults undergoing treatment for more than five (5) hours, should wear an adult diaper.
- If the child does not wear diaper/pull-up, a change of clothes is recommended.
- Do not wear nail polish, makeup, or contact lenses.
- Children may bring a blanket for recovery.
Change in Health:
- A change in your health, especially the development of a cold or fever with congestion of the nose and/or chest, is very important.
- It is the patient’s responsibility to notify the anesthesiologist as soon as any changes are noted.
- Please make us aware of any cough or cold symptoms within the last two weeks.
Designate a Driver:
- A responsible adult must accompany the patient to the appointment and provide transportation home.
- Public transportation (Bus, Taxi, Car Service/Uber) is PROHIBITED.
- For children, two (2) adults should be present at the appointment, and at least one must directly supervise the child for a minimum of 24 hours.
If any questions or problems arise prior to your next appointment, please call Dr. Jalbout at 646-825-1614.