April is Oral Cancer Awareness month
Screening for oral cancer is conducted every six months during your teeth cleaning appointment at our office. We look at the lips, cheeks, gums, tongue, under the tongue, and at the back of the mouth for any white or red changes. This routine examination is done regularly and at no charge. If something unusual is detected visually, it will prompt further examination.
Oral Cancer Symptoms
- a sore, general soreness or irritation that doesn’t go away
- red or white patches in mouth or on lips
- pain, tenderness, or numbness in mouth or on lips
- lumps, thickening tissues, rough spots, crusty or eroded areas in or around the mouth
- difficulty chewing, swallowing, speaking, or moving your jaw or tongue
- a change in the way your teeth fit together when you close your mouth
Early detection and treatment may well be the key to a complete recovery. If you have any questions, please let us know, Dr. Jalbout will provide you with the best possible care.
For further reading, please refer to: