What are the Health Benefits of Invisalign?
March 9, 2017
Straightening teeth is often considered a cosmetic undertaking, as many patients want to achieve a smile that makes them feel confident in professional and social environments not only after but also during treatment. With its invisible aligners, this is precisely what Invisalign offers.
There are also several health benefits of Invisalign that many people take for granted. According to the American Dental Association (ADA), straight teeth significantly lower the risk of gum disease and tooth decay, something that only this metal-free treatment can offer. After all, what good is a beautiful smile if it not healthy as well?
The following are reasons why straightening your teeth with Invisalign is proven to have a dramatic effect on your oral health:
- Daily Brushing and Flossing – One of the biggest concerns regarding braces is the difficulty in removing tartar from tooth surfaces as well as the food particles that become trapped in the wires. This substantially increases your risk for tooth decay. Invisalign aligners are fully removable, enabling you to enjoy proper dental hygiene throughout treatment.
- Wear and Fracture – Crowded teeth or a misaligned bite cause the bottom teeth to rub against the top teeth, weakening them to the point of fracture. In addition, an open bite can cause excessive wear of the back teeth.
- Complications and Injury – When teeth are incorrectly aligned, so is the bone architecture below the surface, which can complicate your oral health if left untreated. In addition, any protruding teeth receive the brunt of the force in the event of a facial trauma, thereby increasing the risk of fracture.
- Receding Gums – Properly aligned teeth ensure that the gums tissue is more secure, preventing infection from setting in. Opting not to straighten your teeth can lead to gum recession, which is one of the first signs of periodontal disease.
- Overall Health – Incorrect tooth alignment invites the accumulation of bacteria, which in turn causes a variety of dental diseases. Studies by the ADA show that oral infections can lead to tooth loss, as well as leave the body vulnerable to heart disease, stroke, pneumonia, and diabetes. Invisalign resolves orthodontic problems in a quick and efficient manner, offering improved full-body health for years to come!
To learn more about the many health benefits of Invisalign, please view our video below. If you have any questions or would like to experience the difference of straightening your teeth with Invisalign in Manhattan or surrounding areas, we invite you to contact us at Making You Smile Cosmetic Dental Studio today. A New York minute is all it takes to call!